How Organizations Can Help GCDD Reach Its Goals By Jon Taylor
Every other year, the Governor’s Council on Developmental Disabilities develops and distributes Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for its Competitive Grant Program. Any RFPs must be specifically designed to achieve the goals and objectives of the Council’s Five-Year State Plan. The Plan has three goals:
- People with developmental disabilities and their families will be active in advocacy activities that improve their lives, and the lives of others and the service system.
- People with developmental disabilities and their families will have improved access to community supports and services.
- The Council will support projects to improve the competitive, integrated employment of Arkansans with developmental disabilities.
The RFP program has an application process that begins with the submission of a grant proposal. The competitive nature of these grants requires extensive vetting of all applications. All proposals are scored and reviewed by staff and the Council’s State Plan and Implementation Committee. The RFPs that best align with the Goals and values of the Council are awarded funding.
The full process can be found at Apply for Funding | Governor’s Council on Developmental Disabilities (arkansas.gov). That page has all the information needed to complete the application. However, there are a few things that any applicants should be aware of. The first two come up during every RFP cycle. But the third item is new this year.
- Once awarded, the grants are issued through reimbursement. An organization does not get the funding up-front in a lump sum.
- These are not grants for individual people! Any funding, aligned with our goals, is to be used to help as many Arkansans with an IDD as possible.
- An eligible RFP applicant cannot be paying anyone subminimum wage. This includes staff and program participants. Funded organizations or agencies must be aligned with GCDD Arkansas’ values of inclusion, integration, and independence. This includes paying working Arkansans at least minimum wage.
We look forward to reviewing all proposals! Please contact us at DDCStaff@dfa.arkansas.gov or 501-682-2897 with any questions on the process. GCDD Arkansas grant opportunities are listed on https://www.ddsuite.org/ .